Featured Post

Monday, July 1, 2024

REVIEW - The Most Human (audiobook)


The Most Human by Adam Nimoy (audiobook) 

OVERVIEW

Full disclosure, I am not a "Trekkie" fan. However, as a native Angeleno, I admire Leonard Nimoy for his work with the renovation and expansion of my beloved Griffith Observatory. I have watched an occasional episode of the original series, and some of the movies, but I am a novice fan.

Adam Nimoy and I have very similar stories with our families of origin. We had emotionally distant fathers and needy mothers. Adam was able to reconcile with his father before his death, but I did not have that opportunity. We both are native Angelenos who love our city of Los Angeles. Finally, we are part of "Generation Jones" with "Baby Boomer" parents. So much commonality between us!

One caveat, this is a real and raw story with mentions of alcohol consumption, drug usage, and recovery. If that bothers you, please do not read this book. 


OVERALL REVIEW: 4.5 stars


Writing: 4.5 stars

Adam writes extremely well, but like the attorney that he is. 

However, at times, I wanted more detail. Adam wrote descriptively enough that I could imagine and viscerally feel some of the scenes that he describes. 


Narration: 4.5 stars

Adam read more slowly than I like, but one can always adjust the speed. It is him telling HIS story and I liked how he spoke so well and with natural inflection.


Character Arc: 4.5 stars

The audiobook is basically told chronologically. The story ends with Adam coming full circle with his father by speaking on Yom Kippur - that final chapter was beautiful and so emotional. 

Adam writes about the good and bad in his family, chosen family, and friends. There was drug addiction, alcohol addiction, multiple deaths, and major family dysfunction. But, Adam is determined that the generational trauma ends with him which is exactly what I have done.


Memorable:  5.0 stars

The biggest takeaway is that 12-step Programs work for folks who really work the program. It is not easy but sobriety and amends can make all the difference to familial relationships. There is always hope!!


Entertaining:   4.5 stars

It was not so much entertaining as informative. I appreciated that. 


Book cover: 5.0 stars

A perfect father-son portrait.


Book title: 5.0 stars 

On point! 


STRONG recommend


STATISTICS

Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) borrow (audiobook)

The Most Human by Adam Nimoy

Dreamscape Media

9 hours, 18 minutes

Release date of 6/4/2024


INFORMATIONAL LINKS

Adam Nimoy

My Goodreads review

Dreamscape Media

Los Angeles Public Library


Happy reading, 

Dorothea 💜


No comments:

Post a Comment