Featured Post

Friday, October 4, 2024

REVIEW - Something Lost, Something Gained (audiobook)


Something Lost, Something Gained by Hillary Rodham Clinton (audiobook)


OVERVIEW

As a liberal Democrat, I cried when I voted for HRC in 2016 with my then 15-year-old daughter. I knew what a Trump presidency would mean and my worst fears came true. 

This is the fourth book by HRC that I have read (including the novel with Louise Penny). For memoirs, I prefer to listen to audiobooks read by the author which I did with this book. 

There were a few things that bothered me about this memoir. The chapters ran hot and cold for me; I either loved or disliked a chapter with no middle ground.  Also, Hillary discussed Donald Trump a bit too much for me and sometimes ranted. It felt like a reboot of What Happened, her previous book on the 2016 election. Finally, an entire chapter was devoted to her Methodist faith and the reorganization of the religion. I am non-religious and this wasn't pertinent to me at all. I also wished she had discussed some of the negative things in her life such as Whitewater, Benghazi, her husband's impeachment, and more about "the emails".  

Please note that this is NOT a tell-all book. It is a collection of stories/essays about topics important to HRC.  


OVERALL REVIEW: 4.0 stars


Writing: 4.5 stars

HRC writes beautifully - very descriptive and real. She definitely wrote to her audience which are educated, middle-class women. It was totally on point. 

I disliked her use of name-calling to refer to many folks on the other side of the aisle including Trump and McConnell. She didn't need to go low like that. 


Narration: 3.5 stars

HRC has a voice that can become grating when she is angry or upset about a topic - that is how she read the parts about Trump. It was annoying and not pleasant to listen to at all. 

On the other hand, when talking about her family members, her voice softened and was lovely and loving. 


Character Arc: 4.0 stars

The audiobook is told chronologically, but HRC does deviate by backtracking to fill in stories or explain things more fully. Learning about her parents' marriage and her childhood explains why she has always been so driven. HRC is the oldest, daughter, with two younger brothers. Enough said!  


Memorable:  4.5 stars

The one chapter about the white scarves is amazing. I was breathless to hear how it all worked out. It was an incredible feat performed by women for women to get targeted Afghani women out of Afghanistan before the US left. There are many other stories in this book that were just as good. 


Entertaining:   4.0 stars

HRC can be quite funny in some of her anecdotes. 

But, for me, learning about all that she did as a lawyer, First Lady of Arkansas, First Lady of the US, Senator, and Secretary of State was awe-inspiring. She accomplished so much, but not all is known to the public. 


Book cover: 3.0 stars

A more flattering picture could have been chosen for her.    


Book title: 5.0 stars 

Very appropriate. Joan Baez, anyone?


STRONG recommend


STATISTICS

Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) borrow (audiobook)

Something Lost, Something Gained by Hillary Rodham Clinton

Simon & Schuster Audio

13 hours, 25 minutes

Release date of 9/17/2020


INFORMATIONAL LINKS

Hillary Rodham Clinton

My Goodreads review

Simon & Schuster Audio

Los Angeles Public Library


Happy reading, 

Dorothea 💜




No comments:

Post a Comment