Featured Post

Thursday, September 19, 2024

REVIEW - All In (audiobook)


 All In by Billie Jean King (audiobook)


OVERVIEW

Wow, I didn't realize how much social justice work Billie Jean King has done - LGBT+, equal pay, women's liberation, DEI, and much more. What was fun for me is that she is from Long Beach, California, and went to my alma mater, Cal State LA. 

This is not a "tell-all" but a book about a woman who got her power back at age 51. So much with regards to the power dynamic deeply resonated with me because I was almost the same age when this happened to me! 


OVERALL REVIEW: 4.5 stars


Writing: 4.5 stars

The writing was excellent, but Billie Jean did have an uncredited writer. However, the writing was from the heart, passionate, and raw. 

My biggest issue with this memoir was that it was long, detailed, and needed some serious editing. This is not my memoir - it is BJK's though!!!


Narration: 5.0 stars

Billie Jean King was a fantastic narrator. It was obvious that she was raised to be a good and kind person and always wanted to be the "good girl". This was the societal message that female Baby Boomers learned at a very young age. She is emotional at appropriate parts in the memoir which made me appreciate her even more. 


Character Arc: 5.0 stars

The audiobook is told chronologically which is how I prefer memoirs and autobiographies to be written. 


Memorable:  4.5 stars

The biggest takeaway for me is all the social justice that Billie Jean accomplished has almost all been overturned due to the #45 presidency. The book ended around President Biden's election. So this memoir ended on a very positive note.  


Entertaining:   4.5 stars

This memoir was entertaining per se, but it was educational as I was from a different generation than Billie Jean so I didn't know all she accomplished. I am very grateful to her and her female peers for all they did for DEI. 


Book cover: 4.5 stars

Great!  


Book title: 5.0 stars 

This is totally Billie Jean!


HIGHLY recommend


STATISTICS

Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) borrow (audiobook)

All In by Billie Jean King

Random House Audio

18 hours, 6 minutes

Release date of 8/1/2021


INFORMATIONAL LINKS

Billie Jean King

My Goodreads review

Random House Audio

Los Angeles Public Library


Happy reading, 

Dorothea 💜




No comments:

Post a Comment