Featured Post

Friday, August 23, 2024

REVIEW - What a Fool Believes (audiobook)


 What a Fool Believes by Michael McDonald (audiobook)

OVERVIEW

I grew up listening to Michael McDonald primarily in junior high and high school when he was in Steely Dan (I had no clue) and The Doobie Brothers. He has such a hauntingly beautiful voice. 

So when I saw this audiobook, I knew I had to listen to it especially as Michael narrates it himself. This is not a hugely "tell-all" book, but he does share some stories about his life that are real, raw, and gritty. It is told from his childhood to the current time. This audiobook came out this year and I somehow missed it! 

There is one caveat about this book. There are lots of mentions of extreme alcohol consumption, drug usage, and finally recovery. If any of these trigger you, please do not read this book. 


OVERALL REVIEW: 4.5 stars


Writing: 4.5 stars

Michael writes prose, lyrics, and music beautifully. I was impressed that the writing was so strong especially as Michael didn't finish high school! Impressive!


Narration: 5.0 stars

Michael read like a professional narrator with his amazing speaking voice (just as good as his amazing singing voice). He read with feeling and emotion as appropriate. 

He also has a great sense of humor and made me laugh out loud. Michael's book is sprinkled liberally with curse words including my favorite that begins with an "F". It didn't bother me at all as it was all appropriate! 


Character Arc: 4.0 stars

The audiobook is told chronologically from his childhood in St. Louis to his current life in California. The story ends in 2023 with Michael in a good place in his life with his career, marriage, and family. 

The only real issue for me is that Michael knows a lot about music from writing lyrics and music to playing multiple instruments and being a music producer including forming his own record label. He talks about chord progression and I was lost as I have no natural musical ability. I wish Michael had explained more about the music as it would have been helpful!


Memorable:  5.0 stars

I loved how he shared how his life was not perfect including his wife's breast cancer diagnosis and their joint drug and alcohol recovery. He also shared his difficult relationship with his father.  But my favorite parts are when Michael takes ownership of his behavior and calls himself an "a-hole" which was a correct analysis. 


Entertaining:   5.0 stars

Michael told funny stories, but the best anecdotes were about his son when he was little. The story about the coffee shop and the cookie was hysterical to me as a parent! 


Book cover: 5.0 stars

Perfect - showcasing his beautiful blue eyes.  


Book title: 5.0 stars 

Oh, so perfect - he wrote this song AND Michael has imposter syndrome thinking he is the fool!


STRONG recommend


STATISTICS

Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) borrow (audiobook)

What a Fool Believes by Michael McDonald

Dey Street Books

10 hours, 57 minutes

Release date of 5/21/2024


INFORMATIONAL LINKS

Michael McDonald

My Goodreads review

Dey Street Books

Los Angeles Public Library


Happy reading, 

Dorothea 💜





No comments:

Post a Comment