Featured Post

Saturday, July 6, 2024

REVIEW - My Mama, Cass (audiobook)

 

My Mama, Cass by Owen Elliot-Kugell (audiobook)


OVERVIEW

I have loved The Mamas & the Papas since I first heard them on American Bandstand when I was five. My older cousin let me play with her Barbies while we actively watched and listened to their amazing harmonies. Of course, my cousin, Deana, shushed me when I asked questions while they were performing. I vividly remember this moment as I loved how they sounded and the beautiful song they sang which is still one of my favorites - "California Dreamin"!

This memoir by Owen Elliot-Kugel is based on the life of Cass Elliot born Ellen Naomi Cohen. Owen lost her mother when she was seven to a heart attack and not from the urban legend of choking on a ham sandwich. 

This memoir is a love letter from Owen to her mother. She actively researched and talked to her mother's personal and work friends, family, and acquaintances. The amount of time invested into this memoir must have been extensive. 


OVERALL REVIEW: 4.5 stars


Writing: 4.0 stars

Owen writes lovingly and well. It was the story of her mother and Owen's story after the loss of her mother - it was written with much love.  

However, I wanted more detail, especially about Cass's singing and writing. My other vicarious need was more descriptions of what Cass was wearing! The 1960s were an incredible time for clothes. 


Narration: 4.5 stars

Owen read more slowly than I like, but one can always adjust the speed. It is Owen reading the story of her mother's life and her life without her beloved mother. She really had natural inflection and emotion.


Character Arc: 4.5 stars

The audiobook is told chronologically. The story ends with Cass finally receiving her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. 

Owen begins her family story with the strong woman of her family who sacrificed so much to improve the lives of their families. Cass was a strong woman who lived in a period where her creativity could blossom, but men, unfortunately, still ran the world!


Memorable:  5.0 stars

The biggest takeaway is that Cass had to deal with the "fat" jokes and comments for her entire life. Even in death, the horribleness continues with the urban legend of her death. 

I also loved that Cass was active in politics and wanted to leave the world a better place than how she found it. She would be appalled at the state of our world today. 


Entertaining:   4.5 stars

Some of the stories about Cass were very funny and/or interesting. 


Book cover: 5.0 stars

So beautiful.


Book title: 5.0 stars 

The perfect title. 


STRONG recommend


STATISTICS

Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) borrow (audiobook)

My Mama, Cass by Owen Elliot-Kugell

Hachette Books

6 hours, 30 minutes

Release date of 5/7/2024


INFORMATIONAL LINKS

No Wikipedia or personal webpage

My Goodreads review

Hachette Books

Los Angeles Public Library


Happy reading, 

Dorothea 💜


No comments:

Post a Comment