Featured Post

Saturday, March 2, 2024

REVIEW - Still Just a Geek audiobook


Still Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton (audiobook)


OVERVIEW

OMG, OMG, OMG! This memoir is just AH-MAZING!! 

I knew Wil Wheaton from his work on Stand by Me and The Big Bang Theory and a bit from Star Trek (I am a below-average watcher). I really didn't know much about him at all and that is why I enjoy reading memoirs to learn about people that I don't know much about. 

Well, Wil is my So Cal brother. We grew up not far from each other in So Cal, loved KMET (RIP), used similar non-PC language that we have had to unlearn, have strong left political leanings, have mental health issues, and had somewhat similar dysfunctional childhoods. Oh, and he uses the same swear word that I prefer, HA! Wow, that is a lot of commonality. 

This book is an updated, annotated memoir that Wil published in 2004 - it is NOT a new memoir. It is a long audiobook - over 23 hours. It has the cringy, original writings of a young thirty-something Wil updated with the 49ish writings of an older, more mature Wil. It is a compelling methodology. 

This is a very powerful memoir. Please read or listen to it. 



OVERALL REVIEW: 5.0 stars


Writing: 5.0 stars

The method applied to this updated memoir is so good! I loved hearing how Wil's writing improved and improved. Now, it is REALLY good - I mean, gut-wrenching and powerfully good. 

I also really enjoyed the asides that Wil used throughout the audiobook to further explain a situation or story. It made it so rich and interesting. Some people may have issues with this style, but I loved it!


Narration: 5.0 stars

Wil is a strong narrator. He is telling his own story and it was difficult to listen to it at times and triggered a lot of childhood memories for me. However, I cried and laughed with Wil and thoroughly enjoyed his narration. 


Character Arc: 5.0 stars

This is told chronologically from his previous memoir with some essays, speeches,  and blog posts along with Wil's asides sprinkled liberally throughout the memoir. The updates and asides make this memoir so very strong. 


Memorable:  5.0 stars

As someone who grew up in Southern California in the shadow of Hollywood, I had no idea until the past twenty years or so how horrible it is especially to young actors. Hollywood sucks and more controls need to be in place to protect our children who are involved in the business. The Coogan Law needs to be updated - 15 cents on every dollar earned is not enough to be placed in trust for child actors. 


Entertaining:   5.0 stars

Wil is a great writer and narrator. He tells the stories vividly and I could picture it happening as he tells it in the audiobook. Wil made me laugh, cry, and be very thankful for my therapist.

I would love to have a burrito with Wil (inside story from the book)! He is very funny and a fantastic storyteller 


Book cover: 4.5 stars

Nicely done.


Book title: 5.0 stars 

Perfect! 


HIGHEST recommendation


STATISTICS

Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) borrow (audiobook)

Still Just a Geek by Wil Wheaton


HarperCollins

23 hours, 51 minutes

Release date of 04/12/2022


INFORMATIONAL LINKS

Wil Wheaton

My Goodreads review

Harper Collins

Los Angeles Public Library


Happy reading ðŸ“š

Dorothea 💜


No comments:

Post a Comment