Featured Post

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

REVIEW - The House of Hidden Meanings audiobook


The House of Hidden Meanings by RuPaul (audiobook)


OVERVIEW

I knew very little about RuPaul, but I loved the idea of spotlighting drag performers like him in his television shows even though it is a reality competition. After I had started this audiobook, I saw and heard some disturbing commentary about the transgender community by RuPaul which concerned me. 

I liked this audiobook, but I didn't love it! It could have been so much more including RuPaul's addiction recovery and journey and his healing from his traumatic childhood with his siblings. 


OVERALL REVIEW: 3.5 stars


Writing: 4.0 stars

The writing was good and much stronger than in a lot of memoirs. It was raw, real, and very intense. RuPaul's young childhood was so horrible that I am shocked that he and his siblings made it out successfully.


Narration: 3.0 stars

The narration, at times, was very upbeat and exciting, and at other times was somewhat bland and boring. It was as if RuPaul changed his reading style to match his feelings while reading the narration. The narration could have been more consistent for my taste. 


Character Arc: 3.5 stars

RuPaul comes off as a warm, thoughtful, and focused individual. My only complaint is that he is a diva with a superstar complex, but that is the only way one makes it in the entertainment business. 

He writes the book in a very chronological manner which flows very nicely for the reader. I only wish there was more of RuPaul's later life including addressing some of his controversies and his breakthrough in television. 


Memorable:  3.5 stars

The disco/punk/new wave club scene in New York sounds like a crazy time in 80's New York City. RuPaul and I are very close in age so I could understand his frame of reference. 


Entertaining:   3.5 stars

I only wish I knew the backstory of the people, places, and bands that RuPaul talks about. Being a West Coast kid was a disadvantage concerning Atlanta and New York City. 


Book cover: 4.5 stars

A beautiful portrait.


Book title: 4.5 stars 

Very appropriate! 


Recommend


STATISTICS

Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) borrow (audiobook)

The House of Hidden Meanings by RuPaul


HarperAudio

7 hours, 7 minutes

Release date of 03/05/2024


INFORMATIONAL LINKS

RuPaul

My Goodreads review

HarperAudio

Los Angeles Public Library


Happy reading ðŸ“š

Dorothea 💜


No comments:

Post a Comment